Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The psychopath in all of us.

I love watching TV shows. And I hate when their seasons are so short you can watch two seasons in a weekend. This weekend I watched the first two seasons of Dexter because they were on Instant Watch on Netflix. Now I want to see the next one because I’ve heard it only gets better, but Netflix has denied me the joy of watching them without the need of a DVD. When I found out, I was super mad and started thinking about the show's concept. Why did I like it so much? And why do we root for a murderer?

Dexter often mentions how he feels “empty” and he can’t feel anything. Although what we see is not always that. But the feeling of emptiness made me think if there are more psychopaths around us than what we would expect. Maybe if we dig deeper we will discover we all have a little of that inside us.

I thought about this especially when I discovered the three biggest myths surrounding them:

  1. All of them are violent.
  2. All psychopaths are psychotic.
  3. Psychopathy is untreatable.

If you’re interested, read more here: What "Psychopath" Means: It is not quite what you may think

So, is everyone around us somehow mentally disturbed? After talking to my roommate Travis, who should be a serial killer based on his past, I decided that we are not. Even if I feel empty sometimes, I’m pretty sure I could never kill anything more than an insect bothering me.

No comments:

Post a Comment