Sunday, May 8, 2011

To my favorite person in the world...

In Mexico, Mother’s Day is always on May 10. It’s not like here in the U.S. that changes every year. It is also known as the worst day to be a waiter, chef or anything related to restaurants. This is why my mom hates May 10. And that is one of the reasons my mom is the best mom ever.

My mother is not what one would consider a regular mom. Many of my friends would like for their mothers to be like mine. Some others, including my cousin, don’t understand her motherhood style. No, my mom doesn't bake birthday cakes or build Christmas trees with candy like my aunt does, but I want to be like my mom when I grow up.

My mom and me in Cancun last March.

Here are some reasons I love my mom more than anyone in the world:

  1. She never made me go to church.
  2. She buys me almost everything I want if she can afford it.
  3. She used to make up bedtime stories when I was younger. Those stories included spiders, flies and all kind of creatures. No princesses or dragons.
  4. She made me stay in whatever after class activity I chose for at least a year before letting me decide it wasn't for me.
  5. She didn't name me after her and her mom. And I'm very grateful about that, they're both called Guillermina.
  6. She lets me choose her clothes whenever we go shopping.
  7. She hates Mother's Day. But still she's as good as a daughter as she is a mother so she always takes my grandmother somewhere on that horrible holiday.
Me, my grandma and my mom in the same trip.

So even if she doesn't care, I wish happy Mother's Day to my favorite person in the world.

1 comment: