Thursday, December 29, 2011

Welcome 2012!

I hate New Year Resolutions... I think that everyone should try (or at least pretend) to be their best every month, week or whatever. But I want, and am determined, to make 2012 my most fashion oriented year so far. And I don't mean go shopping more, because I certainly can't afford it, but to finally get started with my own fashion carreer.

Pic taken and edited by me. ELLE Mexico January 2012.

Step 1: Internship with Dana Thomas

Dana Thomas is a fashion journalist living in Paris. She will be doing research for upcoming books in Savannah (courtesy of SCAD) and I will be working with her as a research assistant. I recently finished her book Deluxe: How Luxury Lost Its Luster, about how luxury houses went from being small family businnes to belong to huge companies. And this book actually inspired me to change the direction of my upcoming MFA thesis.


Step 2: My thesis about the fashion world in Mexico
After reading Deluxe and talking to some fashion people in Mexico I decided that my thesis needed more conflict. Initially, it was going to be about the history of fashion in Mexico, profiles of some famous designers and where it is going. One of the persons I talked to suggested I explore the problems and conflicts fashion encounters in Mexico and I think that's the direction I'll take. I hope I get some insight from Dana Thomas herself on how to improve my material.

Step 3: Graduation
After finishing my Master of Fine Arts in Writing I'm planning on gifting myself a very fashionable graduation present. Probably something from net-a-porter:

Net-A-Porter is definitely one of my favorite websites, and
I long for that day I can actually get myself something.


Step 4: Getting a job in a major fashion magazine in Mexico
Once I have the perfect outfit(s), I will return to Mexico and try to get an equally perfect job in a magazine. My number one choices are Elle Mexico and InStyle Mexico, I just love them and people I admire work there. But anything and everything from Glamour to Harper's Bazaar, or the fashion section in a newspaper would be amazing.

To work for ELLE Mexico would be my dream come true.
Image courtesy of Fashion Foie Gras.


As you can see, I have a lot of work to do... But I am really, really excited to do all this and more. Also, I hope I can put together a great New Year's Eve outfit, I'll keep you posted... Happy New Year to everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment