Thursday, April 14, 2011

"You can't like Arcade Fire if you like RBD!"

One of my favorite bands right now is Arcade Fire. Some people, like my mom and my best friends in Mexico don't even know who they are even if they won a Grammy. My taste in music is very diverse, but most people don't understand it. I love indie music, but I also love cheesy teen Latin American bands. I think that probably the only genres I despise are country, psycho-house-whatever-electronic and heavy metal.

Arcade Fire


RBD


I've attended many concerts, including Coldplay, Morrisey, The Killers, The Radio Dept., Keane, Oasis, and, yes, the Backstreet Boys. But nothing created more controversy among me and my (then) boyfriend than me attending an RBD concert. For those who don't know who they are, it's a band that came from a teen Mexican soap opera.



While it is true that their music is no art and it's super prefabricated, I don't understand why I'm not allowed to like whatever I want. Someone told me it's because I'm incongruous, that I should like a band not only because I like their music but because of their philosophy. Well, I disagree. I can like whatever I want. I like music because of lyrics, melody and in general what they make me feel. And yes, I do like RBD and Arcade Fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment