Thursday, April 7, 2011

Back in time...

People often ask annoying questions like "if you could go back in time what era would you choose to live?" Usually I don't like to imagine what I would do because it makes me want something I can't have. But this week I've been thinking about it. And I decided it would be the sixties. I would love to be a British socialité that goes back and forth from London to New York. You are probably wondering why. Or not. But I'll tell you anyway.



I watched the movie Nowhere Boy, that follows John Lennon's start in music. The best part of the movie, besides the non-Beatle music from the fifties, is the little boy that plays Paul McCartney, Thomas Brodie-Sangster. I first fell in love with him in Love Actually, my favorite movie ever. But seeing he's not 21 yet, I shouldn't like him that much. What I am allowed to like is the fashion from the sixties, it's not super hippie yet and the music is not so obviously sexed yet either, so there's the UK part of my dream


















The second part, the NYC part, is Tom Wolfe's new journalism piece, Girl of the Year. This literary journalistic article about model Baby Jane Holzer made me remember my love for Andy Warhol's Factory. I love Warhol's paintings and I admire his weirdness and how he was part of a world he created but didn't belong to. Also, I admire Edie Sedgwick's style so much I'm considering getting her haircut (or at least Sienna Miller's interpretation of it) so I can be a Factory Girl (which I could never be because I will never be cool enough).


2 comments:

  1. I like that haircut too. And now I want to go watch that movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever seen the movie "Backbeat?" It's about the early years of the Beatles in the Hamburg clubs when Pete Best was the drummer and Stu Sutcliffe, who couldn't play bass for crap, joined the band because he was John Lennon's best friend. It gets into how they came up with their mop top haircuts. Good film.

    ReplyDelete