Friday, March 23, 2012

The First Hipster

And to keep up with my music theme and reasons I would love to go to Coachella: Pulp. But don't panic, in one month they will be playing in Mexico City and I will finally get to see live one of my favorite bands ever (as you may recall from this post). And I say finally because they separated in 2002. I never thought they would get back together so I bought all their CDs, yes CDs, in my trip to London in 2003. And last year it happened, and this year I will finally get to see Mr. Jarvis Cocker dance.

I got this really cool Jarvis polaroid pic from here.

For me, he was really the first hipster, and he dressed like no one else in his time... Those glasses he wore way before it was cool. He has worn skinny jeans forever and sometimes ties. So, he really was always ahead. He was even in Harry Potter. What's cooler than that?

The band.

But not everything is about Jarvis. I also love that they have Candida Doyle playing the keybords. I'm pretty sure in 1978 there were not many bands who had women. Maybe it was just luck, but after playing for the first time with her, they got their first major record deal. Or cassette, or whatever.

I took this picture from an interview with her in 1996, here. A great website about the band.

I love what she's wearing in this video. Her belt is super 90s, and I'm pretty sure I had something similar but of course I looked the total opposite of cool. I love that this was the very first time they played 'Common People' in a festival in 1994, when I was just 9 years old. And still today it's one of my favorite songs ever.



I'll let you know how the concert goes... And of course what Jarvis, Candida and I wore.

No comments:

Post a Comment