Tuesday, October 2, 2012

My (Ultra) Hipster Weekend

I spent this past weekend in my beloved Mexico City. It was great, I saw friends and family and did things I usually don't. But it was a very, very hipster weekend.

You know, you go to Brooklyn and see them, and there were tons in Savannah because SCAD is an art school. But I've never seen so many in one place: hipster dogs, hipster babies, hipster everything... Seriously, where do they come from?! OK, it's not like ther's tons of them, it's just that they are very, very hipsterish.

The thing is, I went to a The XX concert and this kind of market where local designers sell their clothes and accesories. And I do love going to those kinds of things... I was just really surprised.

The concert was amazing. And fashion-wise it was super amusing. I've never seen so many top-knots! OK, ok! I  was wearing a top-knot. Spiked booties were also present... Of course, there were sooo many girls wearing heels thinking they were at a fashion show or something. But in general leggings and skinny jeans (that's what I wore) were the norm.
 
Zara Jeweled T*Shirt + Vintage Gucci Bag
The XX, amazing!
On Saturday, at the Lonja Mercantil, I saw even more heel-wearing girls. And more top-knots and wayfarers and aviators. There were many pretty girls with short hair, but most had loooong, 'unkempt' hair. But what I found more interesting was what the guys were wearing... I wish I had taken my camera with me, because they were so many cool looking boys with oxfords, booties, cool shirts and sunglasses.

What I wore (by my friend Jaime).


...And pretty rings.

After thinking we had a hipster overdose with all the iPhones and mezcal, my cousin and I decided to go get a drink. We were walking towards Alvaro Obregón (the street with all these restaurants and bars) and found my idea of heaven: a deserted vintage store called Vintage Hoe. I know, I know, it is very hipster to buy vintage but I can't help myself. The thing is, it's super exciting to finally find a store that's cheap and doesn't smell. The dressing room is super small and funny, but who cares when you can find unique clothes at great prices. And the guy who works there is super sweet. I'm clearly in love with this place.

And tons of pretty vintage!

In general, it was an amazing weekend... And I can't wait to move to Mexico City and be a unwilling hipster.


*Español
Este fin tuve una ligera sobredosis de hipsters... Y me tomó por sorpresa. Cuando estaba en la maestría y en mis viaje gringos veía un chorror, pero no en altas concentraciones como vi este fin en el DF. Pero bueno, ¿qué podía esperar del concierto de The XX y la Lonja Mercantil?
La verdad es que el fin estuvo increíble, me fascina ir a este tipo de cosas que en otros lados no existen... Bueno, no como en México. 
Una de las cosas que más me gusta de estos eventos es ver cómo se viste la gente, y en este concierto parecía que estaba caminando en American Apparel o un catálogo de Urban Outfitters... Aunque (y no me sorprende) ves a las típicas niñas en tacones que no se saben ni una canción.
El sábado después de la sobredosis de hipsters en la Lonja Mercantil mi prima y yo decidimos ir a un bar en la Roma y de camino encontramos una tienda vintage increíble: VintageHoe. Yo soy suuuuper fan de lo vintage pero no había podido encontrar algo así en México.... ¡Barato y que no huela feo!
Obviamente pienso volver y lo que más quiero en la vida es mudarme y ser (aunque no quiera) una hipster chilanga.


No comments:

Post a Comment