Friday, March 8, 2013

Elaine Benes, an unlikely fashion icon


Elaine, fashion icon
  
If you ask me what my favorite TV show of all times is you may be surprised that as a "fashionista" is not Sex and the City, or Gossip Girl, or... The O.C. or whatever. Nop, it's not Friends either. God forbid. Don't get me wrong, I love Carrie and Blair and Summer –I even loved Rachel at some point– but there's nothing, I repeat NOTHING, like Seinfeld. And for all of you who think the show has nothing to do with fashion, think again.

OK, it's not really about fashion. But it had amazing fashion choices. The costume design was flawless. Each of the characters reflected who they were with their clothes: Kramer's loud shirts, George's checked shirts with white t-shirts under them, Jerry's denim everything and white sneakers.

But Elaine was the best, she was so 90s. Amazing: floral dresses, masculine suits, black shoes with white socks. And a lot, I mean A LOT, of vests. Also, I find her hair choices really inspiring. She did everything: short, long, braids, curly, straight... You name it.
Denim on Denim.


Menswear... Love the shoes!

I think she's super pretty.
With Jerry in matching suits.

And this BuzzFeed article explains everything anbout how is not only her fashion but her EVERYTHING, that makes me wanna be like her. Sort of. She even worked in publishing and a J.Crew-style catalog! Writing, editing and fashion? Sounds like me... I also LOVE that she hated "The English Patient" the way I hated "The Illusionist". Hating a movie eeeeveryone loves? Very me.

Anyway, Elaine was so crazy with her choices and quirks (the way she danced!) so authentic that she is an absolut icon for me.


Español
Cuando alguien me pregunta sobre mi programa favorito se sorprenden de que no sea Sex and the City o Gossip Girl. La verdad es que esos me encantan, sobre todo por la moda pero creo que mi favorito de todos los tiempos siempre será Seinfeld. 
No, yo sé que no tiene mucho que ver con moda, pero la verdad es que el programa tuvo un excelente diseñador de vestuario que supo reflejar la personalidad de cada uno de los personajes en su vestuario.
Uno de mis ídolos, por lo tanto, es Elaine Benes. Sus looks son muy de los noventas. Precisamente porque el show era en esos años. Pero me encanta la forma en que se refleja su personalidad. Amo que trabajara en editoriales y en un catálogo al estilo J.Crew y que un día decidió cortarse todo el pelo nada más por que sí. Como yo. Me gustan sus chamarras de mezclilla, sus miles de chalecos y sus trajes masculinos. Creo que son looks que se pueden aplicar súper bien a la moda de hoy, sobre todo jumpsuits y pantalones de vestir a la cintura. 
Pero bueno, lo que más me gusta es que es un personaje completamente loco y libre. Y eso se refleja en su ropa. Un verdadero ícono.

No comments:

Post a Comment